04 ion

Asked by Apr 25, 2013 at 08:41 PM about the 2004 Saturn ION 3 Coupe

I just bought a 04 ion Coup ,  the second gear will not stay in when i am starting off in the driveing , it will go in to second gear but then when i release the clutch the gear starts to grind  so i have to pop it in to 3rd as fast as i can , i have had two other saturns be 4  a 97 and a 99 they both had tranny dip sticks to make sure the tranny was  lubes up thei ine dosent have one ?     what can be casung my  2nd gear to  not stay in and y cant i finde a dip stick for the tranny ?    its a eco tec 2.2

299,355

There is no dipstick. I suggest taking it back to the place you bought it from, it was a dealer. Do you know if you have a warranty? If it was a private sale, well your paying for the fix yourself. My guess is a bad 2nd gear synchro.

3,530

With a Manuel transmission you may have to go under vehicle and undo a plug to check oil hight. As for as popping out of gear, sounds like a bent shifting fork that is not allowing it to go all the way into gear. With the grinding sound I think there is already some damage to some gears in there. If there is any external linkage you possibly could try to adjust so your second gear moves farther travel.

when i slow down from a full drive outa 5th it will alow me to put in in to 2nd and slow down , but it wont alow me to speed up and engage in 2dn ? if it is the shifing for this will save me hundreds of dollers getting it fixd .... im gonna go with that first then if not the drealership tolde me it might be a something to do with the gear houseing . i hope its the fork

no i bought it second hand from a dealer , no wanrenty , just a whim of a buy , i didnt even test drive it till i got it out of the yeard .