Which rear caliper should I replace?

Asked by May 26, 2012 at 04:32 PM about the 2005 Saturn L300 STD

I changed my back brakes about 14,000 miles ago. Well since changing them, my car shakes when I hit my brakes. Also, I have started hearing an ear piercing squeal while I am driving. I took off my front tires, and my brakes look good in the front. My rear brakes on the other hand, the passenger side rear are work down to about 25% and my drivers side don't look worn down at all. Would you say that I need the passenger side caliper, or the driver side caliper? I know I need brake pads on the passenger side also.

210,545

Since you have been hearing the squeal, and the pad is worn down, the passenger side caliper like you said is probably not working correctly. So purchase a new passenger side caliper and get a new set of pads and consider replacing the rotors as well. If the car shakes while applying the brakes after the new parts are on, something is wrong, and diagnose the issue before you drive it any further.

Thank you very much.