replaced alternator on 2006 3.5l now having problems

85

Asked by Feb 04, 2015 at 06:07 PM about the 2006 Saturn VUE Base V6

Replaced alternator on 2006 3.5l and now
headlights and dash lights gauges and radio
flash when cold. After warm no problems. Ive
had system checked all is good. What is going
on?

40

Im having the same problem.replaced alt. New battery car starts lights go off or flicker and go off

40

We're have the exact same problem. Car is currently at Electric Specialty shop and they suggest it's one of two issues, Alternator or the VCM (computer). I told them the Alt was new but they said an after market alt might actually cause the problem. We're going to replace with OEM Alt and see what happens. If necessary we'll move on to the Computer.

85

Bought a used alternator off Ebay. Everything is normal now. Got my money back for the reman, only gave 10 for the core though. I still want to know what the problem is.

100

I have been fighting this issue for several months. I have a 2006 saturn 3.5 L awd. Here is the ISSUE and I hope this helps all that read it. DO NOT TAKE IT TO A GM DEALER. Will just cost you money and time and all dead ends. IT IS NOT A COMPUTER ISSUE AT ALL. There is a cold start regulator built into an OEM alternator that comes on the original car. It was nothing to do with the alternator at all but you either have to go to a junk yard and get one off a wrecked one, OR have it rebuilt at a rebuild place. YOU CAN NOT USE A REMAN ALTERNATOR FROM GM or AUTO PARTS STORE, simply for the fact it was not expecially built for that engine. I have spent hours, days and weeks of my time on this one issue and this is what I have found. Since these model and year use a HONDA MOTOR , and several years in between there too, I believe the 3.5 L from 05 - 07 the alternator that was used was made especially for that system, it's electrical components and the car. It happens only when it's cold outside or in colder climates, so if you live in Florida ie, you can put a normal reman after market alternator on the car BUT it will only last you a year or so, because it is not meant for that vehicle. So what's ends up happening is that it over works itself because of the voltage regulator and will make the battery wear out alot faster eventually usually causing a short in the battery and making it go bad, also making the reman alternator burn up eventually. SO IN CLOSING YOU HAVE TO FIND AN OEM ALTERNATOR OFF OF A SATURN OR YOU WILL NEVER TRULY FIX THE ISSUE. They are getting harder and harder to find and in my opinion get it checked out at rebuild place before you put it on so you don't have further issues. GOOD LUCK....

Best Answer

I am currently having this issue and I have no clue what alternator will work for my 2006 Saturn Vue 3.5L. The mechanic said that its the right alternator for the car. I am taking video every morning when I start my car to document whats happening but at this point i just need to know what alternator I need to buy to fix the problem. PLEASE HELP! I called GM and they don't even have the oem alternator. I have found several places online that states their alternator is a replacement for gm 12582024 which i believe is the original alternator but I really don't know.

100

Ok Desiree as I had said for fixing the issue has to an original from factory put in original vehicle (or one like it). I hope the admin does not pull off this post because people need to be educated and informed but ANYONE having this issue is more then welcome to call me anytime about this issue, 9133067888 and it's Justin, I'll help you as much as I can.

Justin, You have been so right. Today it is not as cold so i went and started my car around the same time in the morning and guess what.... it started just fine, no lights flashing, radio stayed on and power steering was fine so it really only happens when it's cold. I video today aswell and made sure I put the temperature from my mirror in every video. As of right now I just don't know what to do, should I try to find one from a junk yard. The the alternators that I am looking at states that they are compared to the oem. I am suppose to take my car back to the shop on monday for them to keep it a couple days to see if it happens to them but at this point I just want then to take their alternator out and my money back. If you know where I can find the correct alternator please let me know. Thanks again Desiree

20

You need a specific OEM alternator (a Denso alternator). Any aftermarket alternators or new alternators from the dealership will not work. All the other alternators are causing a voltage spike (up to 19V) after an the car sits in the cold for an extended period of time.

20

This is awesome and PERFECT timing!!! I have put 2 alternators on my 2005 Satrun Vue and was about to LOSE MY MIND!!! I googled the question and it brought me straight here! I have just sent my husband back to the auto place to get back my old alt!!! HOPE HE ISNT TOO LATE! Thank you so much for this info

20

I didnt have the time to spare to wait on my broken one to get rebuilt because my auto is MY PAYCHECK so my husband went to a junk yard called LKQ Pick Your Part and he scored one that is exact to the one that was on my auto when purchased... It is on and so far so good.. to be continued......

This has been so helpful my 07 is doing same thing, now it has quit completely and battery is dead I'm on my 4th alternator in few years, I need to know exactly what I need please??

2006 Saturn vue same problem. A year ago replaced 2 alternators in Nov lights etc flashed got a used OEM one and the problem went away. I'm back again it only lasted a year due to it had 130000 miles on it . I'm getting one today with 60000 miles on it hope it will last. I love my vue. You think GM could help out here!!!!!!!!? Thanks to all the people the have put this info on line it sure helped me

Have a 2007 Saturn Vue doing the something after replacing with an aftermarket version. What is the oem alternator that I need to get? Thank you all

yea i need the OEM alt as well but not sure what to look for online. can some one share a part number and website please

85

O'Reillly auto parts is where I purchased a new one to replace the used one that failed shortly after it was installed. There is an online used used auto parts store called Chuck and Eddie's that I have purchased an engine from.

10

Our 2004 Saturn Vue finally works. Got reman. om alternator Denso, part #210-0546 from Parts Geek LLC online. They ask for vin number and date of manufacture on doorframe.Check with them to get right alternator for Honda engine in Saturns 2004-2007. Starts in cold weathernow!!!