2006 Vue won't start after filling with gas

Asked by Aug 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM about the 2006 Saturn VUE Base

My 2006 (4 cyl auto) engine light came on a week after I bought the piece of junk. The dealership gave me a new "Saturn" gas cap and they reset the code so the light went out.  It was fine until I filled up with gas. The light came back on. It has been on ever since.  Now, every time I put gas in it, the car won't start. It takes many attempts and when it does finally start, it idles extremely rough until i've gone about a block.  Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?  Oh, and yes, typical to the Saturn...I too fight daily with the ignition locking up!  Any help with the fuel issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

246,305

Sounds like your fuel pump is on the way out. It seems you identified that it is the fuel system that is giving you the issue. Take it back to where you bought it, if you have a warranty and demand it be fixed.

Thank you for your immediate response! I told my husband the same thing, about it being most likely being the fuel filter, but he disagreed. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Unfortunately I bought the car about a year ago. I did continually contact the dealership about the engine light problem, but they just said there was nothing they could do about it because my 30 day warranty was up. Figures. The fuel issue started about 2 months ago. I guess I'll have to get a manual and figure out how to replace the filter. Thanks again for your reply.

60

Same thing is happening with my Vue. Check engine light on for months and I've had it serviced. Replaced gas cap. Reset "cleared" check engine light. Every time I fill up, it takes 3 tries to start the car. I wonder how many others are having this issue. I can't get my car smogged when the light is on. Frustrated!!!!

30

I have a 2005 Saturn Vue which had an actual fuel leak soon after I drove it off the show room floor, my check engine light has been on ever since and I have the same problem with my engine stalling after filling up. I have found out that the fuel filter is inside the fuel tank and unless I'm willing to pay for a new tank I'll deal with the hesitant start up after refueling. I found another site with answers to the figuring out what is triggering the check engine light which I'll post later. I have worked around clearing my check engine light to pass the emmisions test. Every year I visit my local Sears auto center and ask them if they can check my check engine light with their scanner. It usually clears up and since they are not a full service shop they usually don't charge anything to do this. Once it has cleared you'll want to drive 100 miles and then get your emmisions test done. If you go immediately after the test reading will still show that there is a code showing and your car will not pass the test. Here is what I found on the other site for dealing with this same issue, hope it helps. when a trouble code comes up in the computer on a 1996 and later model car; it will not go away just because you replaced the defective part. It is also necessary to have the code cleared from the computer with a code scanner that has the capability of clearing codes (not all code scanners can do this). It may be that you fixed the problem by replacing the gas cap; but never realized it was fixed, because you didn't clear the code. Evaporation control system parts are typically only available from the parts department of Saturn dealerships. There is a nationwide list of Saturn dealerships and their contact information at the link posted below this message. There are four possible areas of the evaporation control system which might develop leaks. One is the fuel filler cap; the second is the hoses which connect between the fuel tank, the vapor storage canister, and the engine. The third is the vapor storage canister. And the fourth is the vapor canister purge solenoid. My experience has been that the fuel filler cap is most frequently the problem (but often, the cap is not defective; instead it only requires tightening the cap more thoroughly); the hoses and their connections are the second most likely; the canister is the third most likely; and the canister purge solenoid is the least likely. Running the engine when the fuel filler cap is off will also set that code.

10

I have the same problem. I just bought my 2006 Saturn Vue a year ago. The engine light always stays on even after it has been reset. There are no serious problems. But yesterday for the first time I tried to start my car after filling up and my car wouldn't start! I had to get jumped to start my car. Then I figured after driving for a while my alternator would charge up my battery but I went to start my car this morning and it took two tries to start it.

10

Wow... I've been having this phantom problem with my car off and on for a year now. Where do I buy a New cap tho?

10

I have a 2009 Saturn Vue and my check engine light was on for a code for a small leak in the evap system and I changed the gas cap and the light came back on So I was feed up and decided to go to a shop and get it diagnosed rather than continuing to try and diagnose the problem myself and I found out that it 2 selenoids were actually bad on my car the purge solenoid valve and canister vent valve solenoid and the check engine light went off. However now I am having a problem just 2 wks ago I filled my car up and had a little trouble but the car started up this past Friday I filled up my car from a 1/2 tank to full and my car would not start I had to get a jump but my check engine light is not on.

10

I have a 2009 Saturn Vue and the same thing was happening to my car, after changing the gas cap the light came on again and my mechanic changed the Purge Valve Solenoid and no more problems with. I am now having another EVAP code a year later and this time it is the Vent Valve Solenoid.

20

There is also a purge valve usually in the engine compartment that will cause the engine not to start after and only right after putting gas in doesn't matter how much gas replace that and you should be good