suffrin part?

Asked by Oct 07, 2014 at 04:54 PM about the 2006 Saturn ION 3 Auto

Hi,
hit a metal object on construction site. So now metal bar - mechanic says "sufferin" is bent it should be straight. Has to be replaced but think have name wrong as can't find the piece. It is in the front under engine between two front wheels. He says alignment will have to be done after it is replaced. Also have to replace seat belts as they have locked, re., air bag I guess. Thank you.

67,445

I think you mean sway bar,

I take picture and upload tonight or tomorrow morning. Can't even find any online images car parts to match to show you.

19,860

The Ion is the same car as the Cobalt and G-5. Parts are available. Like T_S_T said it could be a front sway bar. It could also be a lower control arm, strut assembly, steering linkage/tie rod end or the steering rack. If the mechanic said it will need an alignment I don't think it will be a sway bar then. If it is a sway bar then you shouldn't have to get it aligned.

250,535

Sufferin' Succotash

19,860

Ha ha ha, I was thinking something along those lines to.

19,860

Could suffrin be the sub frame?

Here are 2 pics - the bar was straight now it is bent runs right to left. Under - behind rad between front wheels. See image marked with yellow letters in photo(s). Thank you in advance for your help. My mechanic is French, so I think he is using another word that might not be common in English.

Here is another photo, hard to get good view from top of engine. Thank you. He said we can probably find in scrap yard versus GM dealer but I would like to know the name and check some prices. It is like a beam shape or upside down U shaped bar.

19,860

That looks like a sub frame (or cradle) to me. Yes get one out of a junkyard unless he can get a great deal on a new one from the dealership (probably not though). And yes it will need to be aligned after. You might be able to turn it into your insurance company, just a thought.

Best Answer

I think it is "subframe" when I think his English with French accent - subframe, suf rine, the letter sound very similar. And looked online found some images, so it does look like it. Were in Montreal, Quebec and GM parts are insane. I can get GM parts form a dealer in NY, 60 miles away for half the price a GM dealer charges in Canada.

Thank you - everyone