Why would a linakge pop out

Asked by Jun 05, 2013 at 02:14 PM about the 1995 Ford Probe SE

A few days ago my gears stopped working. I had my car looked at and the car man said
that my linkage didnt even break. it just poped out.he pushed it back in and after a very
short dirve. i parked it and got back in it and it did the same thing. Do anyone know why
this linkage would have poped out again.

if it's on the other end (not the shifter end) there's a pin that needs to be ground off and replaced with a loose fit, perhaps longer pin with a circlip holding it on the end...recall a service video to this effect~ take it to your guy and show him the procedure for correction of this shift linkage (design flaw)...but the transmission mounts may be allowing the thing to jiggy around until it falls out...see you never had this problem before which is why I'm inclined to blame the tranny mount...okay slim and free andrea~ (PS I asked Henry if there was any way to UNDO your points, makin' you a wizard...he still hasn't responded)

Best Answer

ohhhhh.... okay.. lmao i am so unliterate to cars... i cant even get it fixed correctly where i live at and this is sad

no slim fire, this is a weird problem...almost could not believe the fix was to put another shouldered and c-clipped pin on there...still cannot believe it myself~ as the number 2 expert you should not be braggin' that you don't know cars already~

if you can get the video of this repair to them which the guy got it red hot so he could not hold it anymore (how dopey is that?) with the grinding of the pin...then holding it in a vise and ball-peen hammering it out, just seems funky...why could they not just supply the troubled arm of the linkage...there's gotta be more to it...just don't understand...exactly~

your right but im just learning. and im thinking about going to school for this. these car repair men around where i live dont know what they are doing

...anyways with a laptop computer show him the video or lay a link on him...you could email it to the garage: to quote Racer_X (from a prior post) Ford Probe Shifter Cable Repair Pin $15.95 This kit is used to repair the end of the shifter cable where it attaches to the Ford Probe CD4E automatic transmission. I'm afraid that I don't have the expertise to really explain this....It SEEMS to be something that's prone to wear and tear after several thousand miles. Regular daily shifting from P-R- N-D-1-2 (etc.)

okay....here it is...THIS ONE~~uuugh- http://www.atfspeed.com/atf-video-gallery.html? task=videodirectlink&id=22

well you just sit back, then listen to why that what they've done is worth $90/hour~ then tell it like it is!

You could point out "I'm the number two Ford Probe expert on cargurus, don't mess with me!"~

your most deff are!

It is almost sad the way these funky old boys will try to take you if you don't know what they are talking about, will lead you down the garden path~ I used to work with these sheisters...sharks hungry for any "service" they could perform for $65/hr (was the going rate in 1993)...sadly there is so much wrong with cars they did not need to fabricate work out of none...yet fellow mechanics seem to be on the take...they have little babies to feed too, but not like this.~ if you can find an honest one, give 'em ALL your work...to show that good people get rewarded for good service~

find someone who can do something as simple as grinding off a pin---- without burnin' down the house~ not something a typical mechanic has to do...kind of unusual, but if you could show the instructional video to them, either email it to yourself and call it up on their computer...dunno, this seems like a typical problem for these shifters...why...dunno~