1992 saab 900s clicks but will not turn over.

Asked by Dec 09, 2007 at 12:36 AM about the 1992 Saab 900 4 Dr S Sedan

I bought this car and it started out I couldn't press the gas pedal to the floor without the car idling rough. The fuel pump is whining  and now the car will not start. When I turn the key it just clicks. The guy I bought the car from said it had been sitting for about 2 year so I was just trying to run it for a while. Can you help me?

45,585

You have a variety of problems here. Most likely the loss of idle at high output is related to the fuel pump whining/not putting out enough pressure when the vehicle is under load. The non-starting could be related to a dead battery or a bad starter. Have the battery checked first. Then have the starter checked once you have eliminated/replaced the battery. It should crank if battery and starter are both good and then you can work on the idle issues and fuel pump probs. from there.

I want ahead and put in the fuel pump since I knew by the sound that it was going bad. Now I have a new problem, The alarm goes off every time I open the car door and the car doesn't even try to turn over. I noticed the red light flashing in the center console. I don't have the alarm key(button) to turn this thing off. The guy I bought it from didn't have it. Can any tell me how to disable it! I looked under the seat for the switch that is referenced in the owners' manual but it's not there. HELP!

replaced starter and fuel pump thanks! herb

This year Saab 900 did not come with key fob for alarm system unless it was aftermarket alarm. This means that the alarm system will engage by itself each time you lock the car. If this is true, you have 15-30 seconds or so to unlock the door from the drivers side with the key and put the key in the ignition and turn the car on before the alarm sounds. That should disable it. If not, check with dealer - the alarm can be disabled permanently.

700

close all doors and lock from driver door...wait 15-20 seconds and unlock it with the key in the driver side door if the alarm is still acting up you need to replace the tiny switch located on the lock in the drives side door if you want to keep the factory alarm my advice is take it to the dealer and have them rip that piece of crap out of there

10

saab 1989 900 turbo key just spins in ignition. an auto locksmith wants a minimum of $500 to repair...so I don't know how much he'll end up charging me. don't know of any other auto locksmiths in the htfd. ct area that can do this job. if i could find the floor shift assembly with tumbler and key my mechanic could do the job.