why is my car running rich and sputtering some?

Asked by Jul 05, 2013 at 08:03 PM about the 1995 Ford Mustang GT Coupe

95 mustang gt 5.0. just will not go on initial take off unless i give it full throttle for a few seconds then it will go fine. its running rich and i can feel it jerk every few seconds at a steady speed going down the road. i have replaced the maf, tps, and the temp sensor.

How long since you changed the plugs and plug wires?

I'd check the fuel pressure regulator and fuel injectors first. Once you get it fixed you'll need new plugs as dandyoun said. The old plugs will be gasoline fouled. HTH. -Jim

I changed the plugs, distributor cap and rotary button about 2 months ago but not the wires like an idiot. I was making sure they were connected on the cap the other day a one shocked the #&@* out of me.

Oh yeah, it sounds like it has a big cam a few minutes after cranking it up

Yup, time for new wires. -Jim

Yes I agree. Get you some good quality plug wires and you should see a big difference.

Just changed the fuel pressure regulator. No difference. Stupid parts store has no wires for my car. Gonna order msd distributor, coil and wires

Why spend the money on MSD stuff? The old "ass-o-meter" won't see any difference except a thinner wallet. Your ignition module, timing and coil are already at peak performance for a production performance car. The coil puts out over 150K volts and the timing is controlled by the computer anyway. Not to mention, the car is HOW old with HOW MANY miles? And you are just now having this concern? There are some fine aftermarket wires that will do a fine job. Mind your routing and spacing or you'll end up with cross-fire concerns.

The motor has less than 10k miles on it. I just heard msd would help it. Idk, im no expert. I just want it to run right and do a few upgrades to give it more hp

Larger Throttle body, injectors, computer chip; there are many online forums and magazines that can help you accomplish your goals with this car. Some of them improve power, performance and fuel mileage. I'd look at the killer ignition system after an injector/chip upgrade. Then you'll need some more "umph"

Does anybody think it could be the air temp sensor?

Jason Tillman

Mine is ding the same thing so is my boy car. We have changed allot of stuff. It well stop for a day are two. But out always comes back. Driving me nuts. My car if full factory nothing has been taken off are put on.