Hello my name is Charlie and i was wondering if i could have some advice on my '95 mustang gt cobvertible i bought the car used from a mercedes dealer and that it was only a one owner with 16,000miles

10

Asked by Nov 14, 2015 at 10:00 AM about the 1995 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

I of course tested everything out in the car
and test drove it and listened to the car for
while and i ended up paying 12,000 for the
car because i thought i knew what shape
the car was in well now its 5 months later
and ive put about $8,000 into the car mostly
on the transmission but everything else
under the sun and she still needs work and i
was planning on restoring the car
completely since im going to be a mechanic
anyways i figured why not and the car will
be a classic in about 5-6 years but i would
like to know if any of you think that its a
good idea to fix up the car or sell it and get
another mustang

67,375

Hi Charlie, I've been down this road before. One thing after another. If the 16,000 miles is truly original, this car sat A LOT. It would have only been driven on average 762 miles per year. Sitting, especially outdoors, is very very bad for a car! I bought a '78 Eldorado in 1984. It had low mileage (53,000) so I thought it would be a good buy. My Dad did too. It was a disaster! Just one thing after another, after another, after another! It was never ending! The Cadillac dealer told me on one of the repair visits that the car had sat for awhile somewhere. Finally in May of 1986 I was told it needed $1600 worth of front end repairs. So I traded it in against my Dad's wishes. You have a TON of money in this Mustang, which you'll never recover! You may be able to take legal action against the dealer if you can prove that they misrepresented the mileage on the vehicle. Run a Carfax vehicle history report on it. If this car has a 5 digit odometer and it's rolled over once, twice, etc. you may have legal recourse. Otherwise you'll have to decide what is best for your situation. Honestly, if it were me, I'd have cut my losses before I was this far into it. I'm very sorry for your misfortune! Please keep us posted! I hope you can get at least some of your money back!! HTH. -Jim

10

Thank you my only problems with selling the car would be that i already got attached to the car and it would be hard finding someone that would give me a good price on the car and a plus of keeping it is that shes would be a classic in five years and that as the years go by since shes a rare car but i will be thinking of what to do and if i decided to keep it and fix it i can drive my '96 explorer in the mean time but i will let people know what i actually decide on doing

67,375

I can perfectly understand your feelings for the car. My '00 Grand Prix has a great deal of sentimental value to me. I was very attached to my '66 Cadillac. I had it for 13 years (1988 to 2001). Here's another option for you. Contact Grundy Insurance. They have a website. Even though your Mustang is less than 25 years old you may be able to get it insured as a classic or special interest car because it's a sports car. They'll insure sports cars and exotic cars that are less than 25 years old. It'll cost around $100 per year for full coverage, zero deductible on collision and comprehension. Then you can use your Explorer as your daily driver and keep your Mustang as a "toy". Since you won't be driving it every day you can work on it and restore it at your own pace. Besides, that kind of work is more fun when you don't "have to get this darn thing back together to get to work tomorrow". You'd have the best of both worlds! HTH. -Jim