no charge

Asked by Apr 05, 2016 at 01:00 PM about the 1995 Ford Mustang Convertible

I hit a curb in my 95 mustang 3.8 litre. Had small
amount of front end damage but now my altenator
will not charge my battery. Had altenator tested. It
passed inspection. I dont know what to do. Took the
battery off while car was running and the car shut
off immediately. Plz help me car guru's. I need help.

170

Did you test your battery as well? And if I understand this correctly.... You disconnected your battery while the car was running and it shut off? That is not abnormal..

Yes i charged the battery i put it on a load tester and it tested good.

And yes took the battery off while car was idiling no electronics were on besides the essential operations of the motor. And it died immediately

170

New battery is not receiving a charge? Is there any physical damage to the alternator?

No. It appears fine. Tested it at auto zone. It passed all inspections. 14.5 volts. And its regulating normal

170

So after you tested your battery, what signs did you see that pointed to the battery not holding a charge or not receiving a charge?

After driving for about 25 mins my lights and gauge cluster get dim. The motor starts running bad. And i lose my tachometer and oil pressure gauge. Pretty much all electronics die after the 20 min drive. The battery is now at this point completely dead.

I charge the battery put a load tester on it and it checks out. It takes charge fine. Its just not charging in the car

170

No engine codes?

170

Check all your cables. Your hot. Your ground. And everything from the battery to the alternator. Did you have repairs done to your car?

No i have not. I havent touched it yet. I have a bent tie rod that i will be fixing friday. Then off for a four wheel alignment

170

Depending on the severity of the damage sustained. I would bank on a wire being damaged. Start there. Check all your connections between alternator and battery

Will do. Like i said it was a low speed impact. No damage other than a busted rim and bent tie road. It did tweak the front drivers side quarter panel. But other than that its fine

52,715

Check the fusible link in the big wire that goes from the alternator to the battery. When idling the alternator should put 14.6 volts (or there abouts) to the battery. Measure the voltage at the battery terminals. Do NOT disconnect the battery while the engine is running.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Ok will do. I've talked with a friend who is a mustang fanatic he thinks that the regulator may be going out. When the altenator gets hot it quits regulating and fails. Is this true?

170

The voltage regulator could fail and should be a separate part attached to the back of the alternator, if it's failing then that would cause this issue.