Gets gas one month no gas for a few days gets gas or a few months?

Asked by Sep 14, 2015 at 12:05 AM about the 1995 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

My Ford Explorer several years ago would give me a problem not
getting gas to the engine sit for a day 3 then it would start up and run
for months the year and then I would do it again then we found out
the gas shut off switch was bad. Replace that ran for 5 years now
starting to do it again the other day the switch button was up I
pushed it down, drove it for about 3 weeks set for 2 days now it
starts again button wasn't down I don't know?

Change the fuel filter.

7,270

Fuel inertia switch ? try a motorcraft part this time. With it set to run, run fuel system tests with a proper gauge. It's 10 years now, hundreds of thousands of gallons have been pumped (same ones over and over till you have to add) Many unmentioned parts in the system. First verify the condition, then see if your guess is right, then correct it or fool it, continue testing. see what, if any, other tests it fails. you describe a known failing part. what do you want to be told? they all do that? theres an update? ask at the Ford parts counter if they still use the same part number, relay number, etc. Discuss your readings and findings. or hire it done.

7,270

The other possibility is the floor is getting thumped pretty hard or the body around where your switch mounts. then it would be acting as designed ?

Fuel filter clogged. That other bs is just spinning your wheels.. Start with the obvious.. Have a nice week.

Best Answer
7,270

What keeps releasing his inertia switch ? Ha ha ha, the pressure rattling the filter ? Or when the giant fell down the beanstalk?

7,270

Or he gets pist and starts pounding on it because his relays are intermittent. You could use jumper wires to bypass the switch during testing to eliminate it as the cause. if it wont act up now? that was it. I saw a monkey do it like that once.

Thanks thanks RV 63 thanks a lot Danny, I'll get a a fuel filter and go from there yesterday I went out started right up again thanks and Danny I like your videos the very helpful Morgan RR

Your welcome buddy. Have a good day..

7,270

Have a great time with that. we still have no explanation for an inertia switch that releases itself without an impact to it, but clean fuel is happy fuel always.

Thanks man I appreciate it very much I'll let you guys know what happens. I heard there's a tool I need to take the fuel filter off with, it cost to much to use for just one time is another easier way to take it off without that tool I don't I don't mean to sound cheap I've got a tall craftsman toolbox too many drawers full of craftsman hand tools. Thank You Morgan RR

No special tools. Should be a 5/16 and a 9/ 16 you'll figure it out once ure there looking at it...

7,270

FG872 filter, right ? 95Exploder, You have 3 fingers in the end of each line or the little newer one thats a little more forgiving. Either way, you need a plastic release tube thats split, slips on Slides longitudinally, enters to press the steel retainer away to allow release. They sell them many ways shapes materials at many stores. if you change one filter every year, you need just the basic kind. tools are cheaper at tool stores. Sometimes a cheapo part store has cheapo tools. what's not cheap is if you struggle with it and bend or damage the retainers in the end of the fuel lines. You started asking because you must have a car that starts dependably. You only accept the answer to be a filter, then you are getting into an area where not having at least the basic need can cause fuel line repair and replacement. I suppose if you do not want to shop for it, find it how you like, you can copy it making it yourself. I have had to do just that in the woods outside town with a high pressure line. Good luck.

7,270

There was a set that simplified a/c, oil cooler , and fuel had every size, someone borrowed mine already so I guess I gotta charge one to every customer I see from here on out. It's his vehicle, he needs it. "cal-van" they called the long set, all plastic. harbor freight has aluminum ones, parts store has steel double ended ines or potmetal, i think. Customers need, customers problem, customers repair and repair order. I think I am going to start charging in advance after inventory. no stuff left to steal, time to make the insurance claim. Sorry, good luck, use hard plastic tubing.

7,270

The sweet version to have are called assenmacher. the cheap, replace often, kind, are called Lisle. The chinese tool store may copy one or both. theres your non ingenuitive cheapo way to do a fg872, if you cant aFFord that they have them cheaper but they had a hard time copying the clips on the fg800, if you stay with it and dont give up you can use sprinkler tubing. If you stand around where they cut it at the home center, you can get a remnant. free.