are you suppose to disconnect the battery before welding

10

Asked by Aug 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM about the 1997 Saab 900 2 Dr SE Turbo Hatchback

car does not start and power windows do not work

70,065

Yes,it will short out your computer and sensor,s.

While there is disagreement on the forums I looked at, some say yes, some not necessary, personally I have had exhaust work done on a car with a MIG welder, (not acetylene), a trailer hitch installed on my truck with an wand arc welder, and other things and never disconnected the battery, and never had a problem. BUT!! I am talking about OLD vehicles, without all the sophisticated crap on modern cars, and for peace of mind it's probably a good idea. ......Is the reason you ask because you had something welded and now the car does not start? Is that how your two questions are related?

TST and I were typing at the same time. For the record, he knows, you can trust his answer

10

Maybe I should have added that it is a 1997 Saab SE Turbo. And, it does not start, nor, do the power windows operate. The mechanic told me he does 20 a day and NEVER disconnects the battery. Other mechanics say that it should be disconnected, which makes sense to me.

263,805

Better safe than sorry, take one min to remove the negative cable.

20 a day what? Exhaust work? If it ran fine and windows worked when you drove it there, then would not start to leave, I don't believe in coincidences like that. You question really got me curious and I called a friend that has an auto-repair shop, he does work on exhaust everyday. He put a cat and muffler on a 1990 Lincoln I had at the time. He told me he does not disconnect batteries,. but only uses a acetylene and brazing rod,