oil pressure jumps norm to low and bounces around a bit

25

Asked by Aug 16, 2007 at 11:53 PM about the 1995 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport 4WD SUV

Oil pressure gage jumps from norm to low, bounces around a bit and always seems to come back to around normal. Is it my oil pump or could it have to do with a bad ground, see I am not sure if the pressure itself can jump that fast and why it would randomly start and stop

43,925

Sounds as though the oil pressure sending unit is giving up the ghost. It should be located near the oil filter, threaded into the boss that the oil filter housing is on. Check when you inspect that area for any bare or grounded wires, but I would suspect the sending unit itself is bad. Replacement is inexpensive, usually $10-30 for the part.

425

I had that problem in my 2000 ford ranger, mine was due to being low on oil, you should check your oil and make sure it has enough. hope this helps

could be oil sending unit ,but i have found factory guages are not that reliable if full of oil forget it.

25

well have change the oil pressure switch, still keeps bouncing around and the engine seems to be running rough. i am just hoping that it is not the oil pump. this in in a 1996 ford explorer sport 4x4 v6 4.0

Check the hex shaft that turns the oil pump from cam shaft, they have a tendency to round off and keep the pump from turning, you can get the shaft at an auto parts store for around $23.00.