my 968 1995 convertible drips oil, but dip stick remains full

Asked by Oct 29, 2014 at 04:16 PM about the 1995 Porsche 968 2 Dr STD Convertible

slight oil drip, but dip stick remains full

Andrew Dickens

If you imagine the size of an oil drop, and how many drops are in a single quart of oil, you'd need to lose a lot before you can detect any change in oil level. In any case, I would get under the car and determine where the leak is from. Most likely it will be leaking from the drain plug, oil pan gasket or valve cover gasket and will be an easy and cheap fix

Thanks, Mark. I've been to a Porsche "specialist" and he's replaced two gaskets and has not been able to locate where the drips are coming from. Each time he says it's located and fixed. Not sure I want to go back to him. I guess I will have to bring it back to the certified dealer in the area since the "specialists" mechanics apparently just take your money. Newspaper on the garage floor still shows the drip, but as mentioned before the dip stick is still on full. Thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I meant to answer and thank, Andy. Scook

Andrew Dickens

When I look for oil leaks, I clean the engine very thoroughly with degreasant and a pressure washer, then put talcum powder around the place. You can normally find the source of the leak. This costs nothing to do and requires no skill, just a bit of time. I also would use the Porsche specialists rather than the main dealers for any car more than 10 years old.

Can anyone recommend a Porsche mechanic or garage in the Asbry Park, NJ area?