1995 Ford Explorer AC Issues

5

Asked by Sep 02, 2014 at 03:01 AM about the 1995 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

The compressor clutch was getting stuck so we replaced that. At first, the clutch wasn't
working we then took some shims out and it was fine. I believe we only took one out. AC
was still blowing hot so we went and bought a can of freon, that seemed to help a little
but not for long. It took the whole can of freon and still nothing.  The AC still blows hot air
even when it's on max AC. The AC is all the way down to 60 but feels like it's blowing 90
degree heat !!! I don't what else we need to check or do before we completely replace the
compressor which is $140 by the way. I was thinking I should get another can of freon but
I don't want to waste money on it if I don't have to. If anyone knows how to fix this please
help me out...I am dying driving in this heat !!!

31,275

It's a gamble. But try it.

31,275

If you are in the USA Google's Advanced Auto Parts coupons and see if you can do better on the compressor should you need one. Also if you have time, compare prices on Rockauto.com

225

Is the clutch clicking and engaging the compressor.

225

There's high pressure switch on the evaporator tank . Try taking off plug while A/C is running.

5

The clutch is engaging the compressor. We only buy parts from rockauto.com and that was the price they had for a compressor. We are going to try and do the blend door trick and see if that helps.

15,370

Did you remove the compressor from the vehicle or discharge the system replacing other parts? If so the proper method for charging requires a vacuum be pulled on the system. These systems to not take a lot of refrigerant. If you put one can in it should only take about another two or three ounces to complete the charge.

15,370

If it only worked a little for a short period of time there is a good possibility there is a leak in the system. Pull a vacuum and see if it holds it. Also, unless the system has a sufficient charge the compressor will not engage.