Engine over revved

Asked by Dec 28, 2016 at 08:16 PM about the 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo AWD

I did a PPI on a Porsche 911 turbo 2001 for sale. the engine over revved
Range 1 : 8000/5 driving hours
Range 2 ; 800/10 driving hours
Should I buy this car ? what can be the problem in the future ?

86,105

I am not sure how much the engine over revved but do you really want to buy a car that has been raced? Find out if the owner club races on the weekend.

595

Today you have up to range 6 to look at over-revs. My concern is how many hours ago was the over-rev? If is over 5K miles and the engine is not smoking or knocking, all is normal in the matter of physics. In the old days, we tested an engine by running high RPM's in second gear. Let off for a second. Full throttle, check the rear view mirror for smoke. I doubt if this car has been raced. Does it have cage? Full Interior with AC? A Porsche design-in was not for street abuse, light to light. Those are the people who will over-rev an engine, miss a shift, scatter the gear box. Or worse! If I buy a 500 HP car, hopefully, the owner had sense enough to drive the car the way Porsche designed it. On an open road course doing laps. An engine running in fresh oil with continuous lubrication is far better than the garage queen dry rotting month after month. There can be a million hypothetical scenarios on why cars fail. All based on fear of the unknown explained by the greater unknown. Find a reason why this car will work for you. Evaluate your risk. Then, make your decision. Be a Porsche Owner, not a museum curator. Drive the car the way it was designed.. SIDE NOTE: I have raced for 9 regional championships with 3 different clubs.. If fear and hypothetical nonsense engulfed my mind. I would have sat in the paddock... wondering.

2,050

Have a compression test and a leak-down test performed. Good results will confirm a good engine, simple as that.

115

Type 1 is a run up to red line with the fuel cut off stopping the engine before any damage happens. Type 2 is the classic missed shift Mechanical over rev and is the primary concern. The first number is the count of sparks and the second is the engine hours it occurred. 800 sparks at say 7500-8000rpm is about 3 second, not much. Further, I assume a 2001 has many hours on the engine, where the Type 2 happened only 10 hours into the car's life. These seem like a new driver learning the car made a few mistakes. But if it has many happy hours on the engine after that. If there was damage from these, it would have probably failed way before now. Unless that hours assumption was wrong, this was stored away and there are only 10 hours on the engine. You didn't state total engine hours. That is important.