Automatic Ford 1995 Escort LX

Asked by Mar 16, 2017 at 01:01 PM about the 1995 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

I am 19 years old and Im trying to fix up and repair
my moms old car for me to have. But I dont know
anything about fixing up cars. I want this to be a
learning project something I take on for myself and
drive it when Im done. I know the car light needs to
be repaired, steering wheel, and it needs a good
cleaning and paint job. What else should I look out
for?

110,725

I would do a complete tune up, that would include, cap, wires, plugs, new belts, fuel filter and air cleaner. Check your tire wear, and change your front and rear struts if the car have more then 60,000 miles..

7,485

These cars are known for overheating and blowing the head gaskets or cracking heads, make sure to check cooling system and replace water pump, thermostat and new coolant if it hasn't been done recently, depending on milage u might need other preventive maintenance done on it like timing belt, tune up etc

27,065

Focus on driveability issues first, worry about cosmetic stuff later. No sense putting money into a car's paint job only to have it blow a head gasket. Pick yourself up a repair guide for your car, most can be found online for free, but a Chilton's or Hayne's can be invaluable. Source your parts well - I like Car Parts Warehouse, it's where mechanics go to shop, I've even seen their trucks in front of Autozone or Advance stores making deliveries. If you don't have one near you, check with local mechanics on where they buy parts. Places like Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly are the last places to go as they are the high-end of retail, however they do offer tool rental and in some case a free loan of tools along with a purchase. Harbor Freight may not make the best tools but some things they have can be more than good enough for home use and are much more affordable than elsewhere, esp. for things like jack stands, floor jacks, creepers, etc. Also pick yourself up a digital multimeter and a fuse kit, you're sure to need those. Finally don't forget youtube how-to videos can be a big help if you're not sure how to do something. Good luck.

2,725

if the underbody and suspension pivots are rotted out I wouldn't put any $$ into it . take it apart as a learning experience