How can I calibrate my fuel gauge indicator?

Asked by Oct 05, 2013 at 06:45 AM about the 1995 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Wagon

My Fords fuel gauge indication has stuck and i need to recalibrate it but i do not know the procedure

236,915

No calibration needed, it might be your sending unit. It's found inside the fuel tank and part of the fuel pump assembly.

92,535

When Ford done away with IVR for gauges re-calibration went with it. As Tom stated the most likely problem is the sender, a indicator of that is the gauge needle will go way past the full mark or the readings are never the same, one minute it's showing a half a tank the next it's empty then 3/4's tank. If that is your problem and you do decide to fix it you might as well replace the fuel pump while your there, If I remember right the units are available with or without the pump, and you can get them aftermarket so you don't have to use a dealer for your components.

24,185

Ok. I had a 95 and currently own a 93 Ford Escort. The one thing that was not mentioned is the "slosh module" plugged into the back of the instrument panel. The module handles all of the fuel indicator operations: voltage regulator, indication, calibration etc. I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money on my 93 with 800K miles so I fill the gas tank every 200 miles. When I junked the 95, I swapped the pump/sender out - no difference.