Just purchased a '05 Cayenne V6, does this model have a timing belt or timing chain, and what is recommended to be replaced at 100k miles?

40

Asked by Aug 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM about the 2005 Porsche Cayenne AWD

Just curious what needs to be replaced at 115k miles on this Cayenne /05 v6 - it was taken care of very well.  I wanted to know if the timing belt (or is it a chain) needs to be replaced at 100k or 125k ? Also if the a/c needs to be recharged or do they add Freon to it.  Also does this model have a built in transmission filter and only the trans oil needs to be drained and filled every 30/40k miles? Are the standard oil changes at 3k or 5k? What other things should I be looking at checking out or servicing on this model/?

27,745

Uh oh- See this,. Cayennes do not use "belts" that need to be changed every 6o k miles. They use metal chains - i primary and two secondary. There is a cam tensioner that is a service item. R&I job for timing chains runs about 5-6k. Question about 2005 Porsche Cayenne 2 Answers Timing chain on 2005 Porsche Cayenne When I drive over an hour, my Porsche Cayenne has rough idle. When I took it to the dealership, they diagnosed it as needing a new timing chain at $8,000. My question is can't I just have it tightened? Do I have to replace it? Or is this really the problem? They claim to have diagnosed it but I just don't trust this dealership. Thanks for your help. If I were you , I would be VERY CAUTIOUS...

25,635

you are in possession of a complicated temperamental beast- and USED- maybe you should find a really, really good garage that specializes in Porsches- and let them tell you what it needs- hold onto your hat-

27,745

jamnblues-. I agree, also maybe he should find a good psychologist as well to help with his attitude through all of this!

27,745

indis67, Read this thread, sorry you just acquired this vehicle, https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t9690_ds704027 This will either be one of best or worst choices you've made, but, remember, it's ONLY A CAR. You can always get rid of it.

40

Okay I see that there are 2 responders to the questions - I think Markw said he owed one and had some issues. I wasn't able to see what jamnblues was saying as far as being helpful. Telling someone negative personal opinions was not of any help to me. I was looking for suggestions because you owned one and what you did to your Cayenne when it had 100k miles on it. If you never owned one of these then there is nothing to add that would be valuable. If you are not a German auto mechanic then no thank you. I found a mechanic specializing in German cars so I'm good now. Someone told me about this site - thought it would be helpful and it wasn't. If I wanted to hear a bunch of negative comments and fear based reactions I could go to a retirement community and listen to how stupid it is to own a Porsche. I'm going to have fun with it and enjoy it. If for some reason it turns out to be a bad choice - I'll sell it and get a different car. Nbd

27,745

indis67-. NO, I've never owned one, BUT, in reading some articles online, it looks like this particular car requires a lot more care and feeding.... here's my take, the timing chain should last the life of the car....or at least that's the urban myth.. So, if it's required to change the timing chain every 60,000 miles, that's OUTRAGEOUS.,. Of course, all cars are expensive, and if you have the budget, it's fine . I wouldn't want to be in this situation....it's my understanding that changing the "timing belt" is much less complicated than the timing chain... So, good luck with your car.

50

I have owned 2 2008 cayenne's. Totaled the first one-YEEHAWWW "I read online..." What are you and idiot? Anyway, in 8 years few problems and huge smiles everyday from my V6's. Awesome daily, awesome hauling, awesome racing and it's easy do service yourself. Sure, buy a honda econobox like these haters, you'll see me out there with a HUGE SMILE. Farfagnugen'

50

To answer your question, the V6 is a Porsche-breathed-on VW VR-6 that is a bit of a work horse with an excellent reliability history. It's easy to work on, reliable, and makes 300 HP. I have driven all the foreigns in my 45 years. The only check engine light on both my Cayennes is the wiper fluid... Do the driveshaft yourself or pay someone $2000 when it needs it, no biggie. The 2028 to 2010 V6s are unbelievable deals if they are not beaten on, which they usually aren't. You will need to take care of the driveshart, that's all. I do my own brakes, oil, etc. It's easier than any honda or chevy. Please don't hate on vehicles because of the tendency for the few problems to make the most noise online. The other 99% of us Cayenne owners are too busy LIVING than whining online....enjoy.