Why is my car overheating?

205

Asked by Aug 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM about the 1995 Ford Escort 2 Dr LX Hatchback

I have a 95 escort and I have
replaced the radiator, idle air control
valve, water pump, idle speed
sensor, terminals, and it still
overheats and the water boils in to
the reservoir. What it possibly be?
Also my cooling fan doesn't come
on? I can't figure out why it won't
come on. Other than all the
overheating it drives perfect and runs
perfect til it over heats. Why is that
water boiling over and my check
engine light has been on the whole
time since I bought it.

114,955

Have check engine codes read. If in USA most auto zones will do for free. Does it mainly get hot when in stop and go traffic but cool down when highway driving? If so check the fan motor and fan relay. If it gets hot no matter how it is driven I would start checking for possible head gasket issues.

1995 dandy. OBDII came out in1996

114,955

Opps. Old man with brain fart. Lol

Spent all this time looking for flash code chart, found one but they want $40--heck with that. They can be had

Yeah well we will let it go this time. geex, Clayton Kershaw LOST last night (Big Dodger Fan). My point being it happens to the best.

OK Luke, check the wire to the coolant temperature sending unit, make sure it's attached and clean. May be why fan isn't coming on..but at 40+ mph a fan is not going to make any difference in it overheating. Hmmm. Make sure hoses not collapsed ...take a jumper wire from pos+ terminal on battery and touch it to pos+ on fan motor...if it runs maybe fuse, if not motor maybe bad. Tossing guesses here..

Check out this thread: ...http://www.feoa.net/threads/how-to-change-cooling-fan-relays-to-regular-ones.35441/ ...click image full screen

Notice you didn't say thermostat....?

Another good thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/passenger-cars-suv-service-repairs-no-trucks/292404-1993-ford-escort-over-heating-fan-not-work.html

.

205

okay so im replacing my temp sensor and im putting a fuse in for the cooling fan, which wasn't even there....... okay now I have another probem. I litereally cranked my car for like two seconds and heard the bubbling noise of the water in to the overflow. now how in hell would it heat up in 5 seconds????? or why is the water going into the overflow?

10

I had a similar problem with my ZX2 2000 and it end up in a repair garage with a few issues under the hood which were caused by a bad Cylinder head gasket. Overheating is generally to blame for: a) Thermostat failure, b) a cracked thermostat housing, c) a broken water hose due to high temp pressure, d) damaged temp sender due to overheating, e) radiator plastic side walls cracked, f) radiator cap failure and g) more than likely a bended cylinder head due to overheating. Note that all these issues are the result of a failing cylinder gasket.