The Security light comes on and the lights come on but the car don't start

Drew Gonzales

Asked by Mar 23, 2014 at 07:09 PM about the 1990 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Have problem with the security light
coming on

Drew Gonzales

Waiting for a answer

Drew Gonzales

Dont know whats the problem

killswitch maybe?

If you have the GM VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft Security) system you'll have a visible "chip" on the shank of the ignition key. This is a resistor block. There were 15 different resistor keys used for this system. The most common problem is the ignition lock cylinder. There are two tiny wires inside that contact the resistor block on the key when it's inserted in the lock. This tells the computer that the correct key is being used. The tiny wires wear and break over time and cause the connection to be lost. When this happens the computer thinks that the car is being stolen and it shuts down. A new lock cylinder will come with a template for cutting new keys BUT you must get the correct number, 1 thru 15, for it to work. Your local GM dealer may still have a key "interrogator" to let you know. Or a good locksmith will have one as well to insure that you get the keys with the correct resistance block. HTH. -Jim