There is a very loud sound like rocks in a tin in my engine. What could this be? I'm scared:/

10

Asked by Apr 17, 2012 at 01:17 AM about the 1995 Ford Contour 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have a 1995 Ford Contour with a 2.0 liter engine.  I cranked the car and first a very loud squeel came from the engine.  When that subsided, it followed with a very loud sound that sounded like rocks in a tin.  I immediately shut the car off and turned it back on.  The sound got louder and louder.  What could this problem be?

6,965

Well sounds like the crank main bearings let go first, then the rod bearings hence the rattle/rocks in a can.

13,195

Definitely serious internal engine issues. You'll need to tear it down.

10

I got this looked at because I could not drive at all for fear that I would do major damage to my engine. It turned out to be the tensioner. The tentioner was broken; therefore causing the belt to be loose causing that awful sound. It was a $70 part. The also said that the ball bearings went bad in the tensioner. I first told him what your advise was and her looked at that first. He said that I described it wrong and that it was more of a belt slapping sound. Not rocks in a tin can sound. Nonetheless, thank you so much for your advise!

13,195

Yea sometimes its hard to describe sounds........just glad it was the tensioner......