Why does my 1991 formula have trans am GTA rims?

40

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 08:51 PM about the 1991 Pontiac Firebird Formula

My 91 formula ( after research ) has
trans am GTA rims. Why would this
be when the car is all factory and I'm
only the second owner?

26,575

1st owner may have swapped them out (or may have been an available option to switch to when he/she bought the car)...are they the diamond spoke ones like the one on this '91 Firebird Convertible??

40

Yes Racer X only black spokes not gold

26,575

I had an '87 Fiero GT and I had the Black Diamond Spoke Wheels on THAT car, so I'm guessing it was simply available as an option on your car (They were standard on the Fiero GT). Looks like 2 choices were available...This one:

26,575

Or this one...which you have:

1,045

then the car clearly isnt all factory....unless the first owner got them painted...also some people say all factory and just mean all genuine Pontiac parts or some sort of mis communication...i have those same rims on my 84 TA, got em off an 88

20

In 1991 and 1992 a Formula could be ordered with the GTA wheels (in black only - not gold) . I know this because in 1992 I ordered my first new car, a 1992 Formula in black with the black GTA wheels. I still remember arguing with the sales guy that said you couldn't order it that way. When he looked into it, he realized that I was right and he was wrong. It is very rare. I've only seen a few of them configured this way in my lifetime.

The wheels shown on you car are not GTA wheels. The wheels you have are 15 inch by 7 wide. GTA wheels are 16 inch by 8 inches wide. The other difference is that the spokes have a conical shape whereas GTA wheels are flat. Finally, GTA wheels cannot be switched from front to back having specific positions for front and back where the 15 inch wheels can be rotated to any position.

I'm looking at a 91 Pontiac Formula 5.7 it say on auto gear shifter that it's got a performance mode? But my real question is the engine in those cars are LT1s or L98s ? & What's better are they fast my 1st car was a Chevelle Malibu SS 396 in a 72 fast as hell miss it & wanting some thing fun again