Why does my steering wheel,when tilted,goes up and down and side to side?

25

Asked by May 30, 2008 at 07:37 PM about the 1991 Pontiac 6000 4 Dr LE Sedan

105

The bushings in the tilt part are worn out.

75

There are screws inside the steering column that come loose. I can usually reach two of them without tearing down the column but that is only temporary. A good mechanic should be able to fix it within a couple of hours.

45

Bill's right, there are 4 screws where the upper column meets the lower part right where it swivels. They've loosened up over the years, tighten them back down, or put some loctite on it to keep it from happening. It's a pretty common problem actually.

490

the last 2 guys are likely right... chrysler also used this style column in the 80s and early 90s... with some disassembly you can get to 3 of the 4 bolts, if you use locktite on th bolts as described before.. they usually dont back out again. it does take awhile to do this and there are many small parts, if not reassmbled correctly it can give you major fits..

35

had one 6000 once did that when you turn the wheels the steering wheel would move very awkwardly. It was the steering colom had to be replaced shortly after.