how do I remove standard radio, do I need a special tool?

Asked by Aug 07, 2014 at 04:56 PM about the 1995 Ford Contour 4 Dr GL Sedan

455

To remove the stock radio you will need the stereo removal tool. It looks like a couple of U shaped metal pieces that will push the tabs out of the way that are holding your stereo in the console.

I would like to know what the tabs look like that hold it so I could make a tool?

455

Most of these tools look like metal clothes hangers with the ends rounded. That might work for you. Of course you do not want to try to force anything because you may end up with a much messier or more expensive way to remove your stereo. You can pick up these "din tools" from an auto part store or Walmart. You can also stop off at a car audio shop and offer them a couple bucks to pop your stereo out for you. They will probably do it for free if you ask nice.

261,885

4 finishing nails the size of the holes on the sides of the radio also will work.