why does my car stalls while driving or put into gear

30

Asked by Jun 12, 2014 at 09:02 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base

I have a 1992 firebird ( throttle body) and it stalls while driving.  I bought a lot of new things  and i still can't figure it out. 2 new fuel pumps, fuel pressure is 8, new map sensor, throttle position sensor, 2 new inectors, checked for vaccum leaks, fuel regulator. I was told the car doesn't do it all the  time, 3 times a day..its not fuel filter. new fuel cap. not sure what else it could be.......

101,385

Fuel pressure is 8? If that a tpi engine your fuel pressure should be 30 psi at an idle.

101,385

Does it stall while slowing to stop but run good at highway speeds? If so check idle air control valve.

30

throttle body, not tune port

30

i did change idle air control valve..sorry....

30

wildmann98@yahoo.com for suggestions

101,385

When does it stall? Just anytime you are driving or mainly when slowing down?

101,385

Check exhaust manifold out for burnt spark plug wires.

30

mainly the car stalls when put into gear, and when at a stop when taking off

30

i did check mainifolds...i was told i had a manifold leak, had gaskets replaced

101,385

Is your throttle position sensor adjusted correctly? .55 volts at full closed throttle. Have you checked your pcv?

30

i changed pcv valve i replaces throttle body sensorr twice

101,385

Have you checked your plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor button? Also does it still have the original cat convertor on it? If so could be stopped up.

30

new plugs, new wires, i haven't checked dist cap or button, cat convet..is ok

101,385

Have you checked the ignition module?

30

i'm thinking its a fuel problem..........my next move is fuel filter.....i took it to tech tune....they replaced, fuel pump, then checked it afterwards and fuel pressure was 8 (throttle body) they put some fuel additive in the tank..car ran very badly.till i ran tank out......but still the car stalls..thats why i thought......maybe its halfway stopped up and it didn't help putting that fuel additive in it too

30

no on ignition module

101,385

Is that one an optical spark dist? If so that's where I would look next with all the other items you have replaced and checked. It's about the only thing left.

101,385

Has the car been sitting un driven for a long period of time?

101,385

3 months or more?

30

i drive the car every day.........its been about 2 years about distri cap has been replaced

101,385

Oh ok. Well sounds like you have done everything I would have tried. Keep us informed and if I think of something else I'll get back to you.

30

i think my next move is fuel filter...........I will say the engine light comes on and stays on..i look up the code and this is what it says.....code 44 lean exhaust.....in the book...malfuctioning carb/ fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, defective map sensor, defective oxygen sensor, defective ecm, I replaced, map, both injectors, checked for vaccum leaks, replaced ecm.......i think i asked to replace oxygen sensor..not sure

101,385

Yes I think the fuel filter change would be a good next step. You stated that your fuel pressure was 8. That is way to low. Should be in the thirties or forties on yours I believe.

30

what i hear....a fuel pressure for tpi is between 30/40. a fuel pressure for a throttle body is betwen 10/13. 2 different fuel pumps pending tpi/tbi

10

Im having the same exact problem ive replaced spark plugs, wires,fuel pump mass air flow sensor camshaft sensor ignition control moduel fuel filter any other ideas?