pontiac firebird not burning gas

5

Asked by Jan 04, 2011 at 08:53 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base

ive replaced the spark plugs and the rotor for the distributor and for some reason the
engine does alot of shaking and makes knocking sounds and does not burn the gas
the way it should be burned. the catalytic converter gets really really hot and it starts
to smell like gas. someone please help me!!!!

6,825

not good... is the thermostat working right? is the engine temp abit cold?

5

i think it is its almost marking it at 160 or so which i think its average.

5

check your firing order and meke shure your spark plug cables are in the right order.

5

well we checked them and changed them in many different orders but it seems that is not working.. also sometimes the car shuts off and a bunch of black smog comes out from the tailpipes

310

Very well could be a timing issue! Quite possibly could be a timing chain.

310

Take the cap off and see if the rotor is turning when you turn the engine over, if not, you have a slipped or broken chain.

5

well we gave up already and took it to a auto repair shop :[ thanks guys for all the help.. ill let you knw wut was wrong it.

310

Let us know.

5

well we took it to a real mechanic and he said that it mite be a head gasket or a cylinder head

310

Did he do a compression check?

5

well thats wut he told us..but idoubt it he has done anythin to it cuss we barely took it to him yesterday so idk i hope he gets it done soon. but idk if he has done the compression check.

310

What did he say he is going to do to the car? Head gaskets? Just don't want to see anyone ripped off.

5

he said it mite be the head gaskets or the cylinder heads..he said it was gonna cost 800 TO REPLACE THEM!!! or fix them...dnt you think thats a little too much???!!

310

I would have him give me a detailed breakdown of all he planned to do. Just "fixing" it is far to vague for me. To replace the head gaskets sounds steep. If head work is involved he would have to remove them and send them to a machinest to have them surfaced and so forth. It is a good idea to ask for the bad parts in return after the repair. They are alot less likely to try something shady that way.

Did u ever get your firebird running correctly? I have the same problem in mine after it sat for a year. ran fine once and then all downhill from there, black smoke and ticking sound. any advise?

My 1992 firebird v8 305 is doing the exact same thing. Started perfectly once, than ticking and smog . What is the final verdict?