PROBLEMS WITH STARTING AT VARIOUS TIME

5

Asked by Aug 07, 2007 at 06:19 PM about the 1992 Pontiac Firebird Base

ON VARIOUS TIMES THE  VEHICLE DOES NOT START IMMEDIATELY. STATED BELOW ARE VARIOUS INCIDENTS:

I INSERT THE KEY W/COMPUTER CHIP IN THE IGNITION AND TRY TO START THE VEHICLE AND NOTHING HAPPENS. I WAIT FIVE MINUTES AND TRY AGAIN AND IT STARTS.

I INSERT THE KEY W/COMPUTER CHIP IN THE IGNITION AND TRY TO START THE VEHICLE AND IT ACTS LIKE IT WANTS TO TURN OVER BUT IT DOES NOT IT TURN OVER. I WAIT FIVE MINUTES AND TRY AGAIN AND IT STARTS.

I HAVE REPLACED THE STARTER, BATTERY, IGNITION SWITCH, CHECK THAT THE COMPUTER CHIP IS NOT CRACKED OR DAMAGE. I CANNOT DETERMINE THE PROBLEM.
THIS CAN HAPPEN WHEN I FIRST START THE VEHICLE OR ANYTIME AFTER THE FIRST START.

PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS PROBLEM . THANKS-

42,575

Sounds perhaps like a fuel pump relay is bad. It is resetting after the 5-minute time period and allowing you to attempt to start the vehicle again. It cranks, but does not run, is that what you mean by "nothing happens?"

Remove your ignition lock cylinder on the steering column, one of the two wires may have disconnected from the lock cylinder, that runs towards your VATTS security module.