Overdrive shake

20

Asked by Jun 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM about the 1993 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SE Sedan

My 1993 pontiac bonneville has a problem with the overdrive. When I get to around 55mph, it starts to bog and shake. It is especially problematic going up hills because it doesn't want to shift down. I usually just use drive for city driving, but even then there is a slight wobble when going slow enough. could it be the torgue converter?

78,195

There is an additive for torque converter shutter, it is available at most auto parts stores. I used it and it works, but be aware that the real problem still exists and eventually you will have a failure, ie torque converter failure, solenoid failure, internal pressure seals, stuff like that. As far as the wobble, have you tried getting it to do the wobble then just put it into neutral and coast to see if the wobble still exists, that sounds like a possible broken tire.

20

Yes I have tried putting it in nuetral and it goes away then. Are you saying that the additive is hard on the pressure seals, solenoids, etc? If so, I won't want to do more harm the good. I am wondering if there is a way to find out what the problem is and if would be fixable?

78,195

Yes it is repairable, but it will be fairly expensive, that is why I'd opt for the additive and save up for a re-manufactured tranny if you really like the vehicle. Unless you can find someone that can rebuild yours, replacing the torque converter and the solenoid packs plus all of the bands and clutches and other worn parts for a reasonable price.

20

Okay thanks tennisshoes!