No guesses please. I have a firebird 5.7, it has a small tick to the right of engine when I'm driving. Oil pressure comes and goes. Runs hot if I gun it. No tick in neutral. Thanks

Asked by Feb 12, 2014 at 03:29 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Without seeing the engine and what it's doing it's all guesses. What is your oil pressure doing. I need to know what your doing, pedal input. And what the motor is doing, approx load, RPM and oil pressure. Does it take a while for the engine to start heating up or does it heat up and tick as doon as you load the motor. To me that sounds like a rod bearing starting to go.

The tick or knock may be the cause of the oil pressure issues or a result. If your a diy'er I would drop the pan and change out the pump. That would replace the pump and oil pressure regulator. If pressure could not be maintained with the new pump you will need to rebuild.