Transmission replacement between GM vehicles?

Asked by Mar 10, 2013 at 07:54 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird Base

Would my car be completely destroyed if I tried to swap out the transmission for a completely different GM vehicle's transmission? For example, if I was to swap out a ford focus 1994 engine into my 1994 pontiac firebird.

Alternatively, could I just swap a different pontiac's transmission like a g4 or g6 or 1986 firebird?

I'm just not finding any vehicles close to mine out there. Firebirds are almost non-existent like shiny pidgeys. My transmission is in rough shape and needs a swap.

98,055

GM uses the same transmission in many different cars. The scrap yards which cars they are in.

241,595

Do some research to find out what model number transmission is in your car. We don't know if you have an auto or manual trans The scrap yards/auto recylers would be able to find what you need. If yours is in rough shape, look into the price of a rebuild if the rest of the car is in good shape. A scrap yard transmission is cheap but has no warranty and a crap shoot on working properly.

20,545

them days are long gone my friend ,you now have control units running everything, and a million wires ,stick to stock unit will be distroyed if your asking this

33,955

Sell your tools!!!!! Ford isn't general motors.

33,955

Even if it was the focus is a fwd and the firebird is a rwd the g4 isn't a car and g6 is also fwd. 86 firebird has an old trans that might work but it would make your pcm go crazy.