whats wrong?

Asked by Mar 17, 2012 at 09:13 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird Base

my lights arent working rite like my low beams work great but when i go to turn the hi beams on they used to only work with my sterring wheel upas hig as it will go but now they dont work at all and it doesnt click when i pull the lever back for high beams

10

the first idea i have is to have the wiring in the steering column checked out because if it had to be set all the way up for them to work there could be a chafed or they could be shorting out and for the clicking you would probably haveto get a new switch

3,375

Yep , get a new column / turn signal dimmer switch , unless you are fammiliar with GM steering columns , I would take it to a shop . PBN

yes it sounds like you have a broken wire inside the steering column or in the switch. your best bet is take it to a professional.

3,375

I doubt if it's a wire , if it were shorting inside the column it would be blowing circuit breakers or worse catching on fire . the headlights draw a large amout of current but the wiring inside the coulmn only controls the relays for high low ,on, off park ,turn etc. . . the switch has lost it's detent (click ) so it's a contact problem in the switch I'll bet