Firebird '94 engine problems

85

Asked by Feb 25, 2011 at 12:05 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird Base

I was driving and suddently the engine stopped. Tried to start, but it only runs for couple of seconds before falling out again and lot of power lost. I drove it in high RPM, while bangs came out of my exhaust pipe.  
Went to the garage and they changed the spark plugs and the spark plug wires. Now it runs a bit better, but still not smoothly enough to really drive the car again. Also cleaned the petrol filter.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be before I change some very expensive parts (like bobine)?

Ps. I'm Dutch, so sorry in advance if I made some grammar faults...

To me it sounds like the timing chain issue with me being old school raised and owning the cars I do and the wisdom of seeing others expierence what you have.

85

After a long search, I found an American car specialist in The Netherlands and they told me the same...Too bad it's a very expensive repair... Thanks for your reply!

You are welcome, for future note It is known that v6 and v8s the timing chain has been known to stretch and is possible to jump a tooth or more upon shut down or start up usually vehicles with over 100,000 miles and driven somewhat hard. I have my T/A and a 81 Z28 both cars were purchased new by my family. So to keep from having that issue I changed out both timing chains and had Cloys double roller chain installed and both cams degreed in. The cost is the chain set under a hundred 20years ago and 3 hrs of labor time. I wish you the best, RSS

85

Well, they've changed the timing-chain and some other things, like the gears from the timing chain. But still the engine isn't running well. At my garage, they're out of thoughts what it could be and I'm trying to get the car to an USA-car specialist... Don't know if they could solve my problem, so I was hoping if someone have any suggestion to look at... The car is already like 4 - 5 weeks in the garage by now. I'm trying to arrange all kinds of solutions to go to work; sleeping over at my friends house, borrowing cars from my friends, my parents brings me to and pick me up from work...I'm a bit tired of all those arrangements...

25

it's definately the EGR solenoid and O2 censors. I had the same problem on my 94 as well you may have to replace your cadillittic converter as well if it has a backfireing sound.

85

Well, they finaly found the problem(s); the fuel pump wasn't working as it should be, so the pump unit has been replaced. They also found out 2 of the spark plug wires changed places on the bobine (the wires have been recently changed for new ones) and so they had to put in 2 new spark plugs as well...A bit of computer-work to reset the faults and it's running smoothly again... There's just one problem, but can be fixed easily; the muffler has some leaks and the inside of the cath was a mess, so they need to be replaced as well...not a very cheap reapair (in parts, labour is like 2 hours), but it has to be done! I want to thank you all for your suggestions and I will consult you guys again when having problems!

30

When you replace the cat and the muffler get a Magnaflow or Flowmaster. Both are performance parts and you will find a huge difference in horsepower and torque. It might be worth checking out Summit Racing on the internet. I have bought a ton of parts from them because their prices are reasonable and stuff gets shipped next day. You'll have to check their shipping costs though as it may be cheaper to buy them from a retailer on your side of the pond. Rick Markham, Ontario Canada skiprecoveryservice@hotmail.com

85

Thanks for your reply, but it was too late...My garage have already fixed the problem... The funny part is, I have put a Flowmaster duel exhaust pipes underneath my Firebird, just like you suggested. It makes a nice low purr when low in rpm, but it really roars when in high rpm. Love the sound of the new exhausts. Don't know if it is the sound or the new materials underneath the car, but I think my car is reacting quicker then before (can't find the rights words in English, but it seems it has more boost or something like that). Next thing on my "to do" list is trying to find rear decal (vinyl)stickers. My Firebird-logo has almost disappeared and the word "Firebird" is already entirely gone.

30

I have ordered decals from a guy. They're great. I even got the bird for the hood. Good prices too. I am trying to find the website for you so just hang tight. I will let you know in 5 minutes.

30

It took forever and the ad was on the second last page of this month's Hot Rod magazine. If you are doing a lot of work on the car I would suggest 4 investments. 1. an OBD reader to plug into the computer port under the dash. this unit will give you the fault codes as to what is wrong with the engine instead of paying a mechanic $85/hr. a garage is my last resort. 2. a haynes manual for the 84 bird. invaluable book to have 3, a subscription to Hot Rod mag. lot's of good DIY articles Anyways good luck fixing the car. the website for the decals is www.phoenixgraphix.com 4. a Summit Racing catalog. even living here in ontario, Canada, many a time it is way cheaper to have the parts shipped up because Summit's prices and selection is amazing. Check their website too. Regards, Rick skiprecoveryservice@hotmail.com

30

i have a 94 pontiac firebird the 5.7 LT1 engine stalls i find the no fire to the spark plug after 20 to 30min it start up it run little bit longer