i need help with my 94 firebird

5

Asked by Feb 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird Base

i have a 94 firebird, i was trying to get in the center so i was trying to take off the  automatic shifter by turning it, the i heard a pop, now the  automatic shifter moves back an forth with out using the button, my Steering wheel is lock, the key wont turn and my brakes are tight, can anyone tell we what i did wrong and how much it is to fix it?

6,705

seems like the shifter broke... cable snapped off. further more, the relay or the fuse is blown to release the gear(that pop sound). check the parking brake contact(big copper contact) to see if it still actutes properly.find a shifter assmbly from the recycling yard and a new cable from the dealer. i'm guessing that when the shifter was twisted it had a wire that shorted.

5

i don think its the cable becuz it can go from park to drive with no problems just that i dont have to hit the button