Transmission

85

Asked by Nov 19, 2008 at 03:01 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula Convertible

I have a friend and I'm helping look for answers about a problem with his transmission in his firebird. Its an automatic trans and when trying to drive it goes so slow but after warming up it runs better but not good.

215

when he puts it into drive and he is in first and he hits about ten miles and hour and it shifts into second does it jerk real bad ?

85

No its an automatic, when he puts in drive or reverse it will drive really slow but after warming up a good amount of time its not that slow but it still is

215

hmmm... my dad has a 98 t/a and his has a similar problem when its in first and it shifts into second it jurks so i dont know what to tell you other than to take it into a tranny shop and if they cant find anything then get a new tranny

315

the auto's in the firebird formulas and t/a's suck but it could be as easy as needing a a fluid flush to anything as bad as the gears being completely worn down on it. but idk the 4L60 or 4R70 whatever they came with weren't the greatest of trannies i'd suggest a t56 or the tremec t5060 which is the 6 speeds that came in them.

Bryan, you mentionned that your dads car jerked from first to second. Im having the same problem. What was it in the end?