i have a 94 pontiac bonneville that has no rust or rott. was my grandfathers. he passed. it has a series 1 3800 naturally asperated. i want a six speed BADLY and i already have a blower that will bolt on for the most part. i understand the modifications ahead of me fully. no prob. i just need to know what the most suitable tranny would be. rebuild or not dont care. i love this car has all the options and already have done complete stereo, cold air and exhaust. im now ready to build it up and have fun with it. what should i use for a suitable transmission after the fact that i will be adding a blower and making more power?

45

Asked by Sep 18, 2012 at 08:22 AM about the 1994 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SE Sedan

10,315

It is a FWD car. I do not know of a GM 6 speed fwd tranny. GM made (well rather Izuzu made) some 5 speed trannies, but one for the 3.8l was never made that I am aware of. The Bonneville is a cruiser anyway. They made an SSEi version of the car in 94 that was supercharged. It would be the easiest to use the eaton supercharger and intake from it (and the ecm). More of a plug an play application.

45

pont g6 has 6 speed fwd tranny. or a f40 tranny. i know its alot but this car is mint and im in it now. iv seen it done to gran prix. and the blower i have is from ssei. i will produce linkage and lines etc. i need the best tranny either ready to go or rebuilt completely. it will happen one way or another. i just wanna make grandpa proud and love the idea of a sleeper 94 bonnie. im already pulling away from most who try to pass. have alot of work done already. thank you so much for the input though michael.

10,315

Did not realize the g6 used a 6 speed manual. Doing a little research though I see that the 6 speed was paired with a 240hp 3.9liter. Hell, why use your 3.8l. Even supercharged it is only going to put out around that with mods.. Personally I would do a full engine and tranny swap. Then worry about the linkage. It would require a bit of work and custom fabricated parts to adapt it to your engine (if even possible)

45

pont fiero has another 6 speed tranny that would work or an f40 swap. thanx michael. i dont care what others would do to b honest without being rude. i think alot of things that people wanna do is stupid but thats not the point. i will fully support them cuz thats what they wanna do. im adding a blower and swapping tranny. i just wanted to know if n e body had n e ideas for transmissions. there r plenty 6 speed trannys that would bolt up. so do u know what yur talking about or not. and i will have it geared if thats the case. by the way i already push 230 horse and 250 ft lbs. any gearheads in here?

10,315

The series one 3.8l engine put out under 170hp factory . Not to offend you. But unless you are running NOS you are nowhere near 230hp. Additionally, OBD1 did not take kindly to engine upgrades. I built up my series II L67 (3.8L SC) in my GTP. It came from the factory in 2000 with 240hp. It took alot of mods and tweaking to get to 350whp, which short of rebuilding and beefing up was about the max that engine could stand. Now, I was in no way was trying to discourage you or discount what you want, but merely add some other options for you to consider. You can consider or discount anything you want. The F40 6-speed from the 2006 G6 GTP seems to be a popular tranny swap. I have seen tons of articles on it. The biggest complaint is first gear as the ratio is too tight. Most that have done the conversion find first gear useless. **ALSO** My buddy in high school was a Fiero fanatic.. There was NO factory 6-speed ever put into the Fiero. I wish you best in your endeavor as where there is a will (and funds to back) then there is a way...

45

its what i do guy. just 4 get it. dont call me a liar. 230 on dyno all day. the fuel regulator shit the bed on first motor. dumped gas through the rings while sitting. thinned the oil and i lost pressure and power so i started from square 1 i bought a motor from a local yard. low low miles. had it machined and did pistons rods rockers rings cam etc. also exhaust and intake. plus my brother in law wrote me a running map. swapped some pins and off it went. not gonna lie, i keep blowing cover gaskets. i have to sheild the exhaust with something. idk yet. its melting my valve cover gaskets. il figure something out. and also have made many tweaks. still in progress havent blown it yet. been 9 thousand miles since. im thinking stand alone maybe. doubt me if u will lol. thats quite alright. nos! lmfao. thats 4 ricers in my opinion. new to this site but not very impressed so far. pretty sad wen a bonnie takes gtps at redlights. i fucking love it. wasnt trying to b rude. im just sayin. i work 4 the autocenter and have connections in every aspect of an automobile. i have decided to have central gear a g6 tranny 4 me. also im starting to think about a paddle shifter kit. i still love a clutch though. ne thing is possible if u put yur mind to it as korny as it sounds.