Why are the headlight motors on both of my firebirds acting up?

Asked by Mar 22, 2013 at 08:51 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Base

I have a 97 Firebird that the headlights go up and down fine but once they are up or down the motor still spins and vibrates and roars.  The 97 Firebird the headlight on the drivers side goes up when you turn the lights on, down when you turn them off, but comes back up when its turned off.

92,325

"motor still spins and vibrates and roars" --- there is supposed to be a device and a switch. Find the limit switch and find out if it needs adjustment or replacement.

250

you gear teeth in the motor are worn out. I had the same problem with mine. Most part stores sells part replacement gears, i think the gear is like $3 or $4. Easy to replace

31,895

Doubtful its the teeth considering they actually upen and close fine, it's most likely the switch that stops it as Tenspeed said and if it isn't fixed soon then the teeth will end up stripping. If you decide to rebuild that little motor then you should replace the gears with metal ones.

1,515

Another vote for the teeth on the headlight gears being stripped out. The bump stop on the lights is integral to the motor in 4th gens.

Thanks guys, I bought the gear teeth just incase and will try finding a switch when I get home from work tomorrow. The gear is 15.99 at autozone. Not too bad. Just was wondering if it was the teeth because they still functioned. Thank you all for the help.

31,895

Are they the metal ones? Like I said if the teeth were what was bad then they wouldn't open they would sit in the closed position and just bounce up and down while trying to open.

1,515

Jono, a place I would suggest for a write-up on replacing the gears is ls1tech.com. You can find several stories identical to or similar to yours where the problem was rectified by replacing the gears.

Thanks John, thats what I figured too and thank you Samuel. I was going to work on it today but the snow (that never seems to want to quit) kept me from it.

It's the switch. Good luck finding it (on the car) though

5

IF It's a loud sound like a jackhammer the motor needs to replaced csale