engine shakes

45

Asked by Apr 16, 2011 at 08:29 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Base

i have a 1995 Pontiac firebire and the engine shakes when i apply a little throttle is when u can really see it its worst in 5th gear hard to accelerate but still goes fast fuel filter is good so r plug wires and plugs

20

If the engine is shaking it might need new motor mounts

bad injector,you sure its the engine,sounds like you got a bad U joint in the driveshaft.

45

Can't be the drivshaft it does it in in neutral

6,705

if engine moves more than 1" when shifting, replace motor mounts.

raise hood,have someone in car set e break put in 1st gear let clutch out easy give it a little see if engine goes up on driver side,more than a inch or less,if it does is a broke motor mount,try same thing in reverce to check passenger side.if neigher moves or engine dont raise up,it may be the HB is bad and causing the problem,it has a rubber ring around it in the middle of it.the rubber dryes out after time,being yours is a 95 asumeing it has never been changed,that may be your problem.

45

HB where is that and where is it at?

Harmonic Balancer,is the big thick pully bolted to outside of crank,4 1/2 inch holds the pully on,1 big bolt in middle of HB remove it,use a 3 prong puller to get it off.their is a slot on HB shaft (inside) a grove on crank with a half moon looking key in it,dont loose it.30 min to get it off.

45

I don't think its the harmonic balancer that seems pretty solid

25

is it just the shake because the hard to accelerate could be a possible miss...you should check your spark plugs and wires... may of blown a plug or timing could be off... but if its just the shake could be motor mounts like previously suggested.

with what you are saying about how it shakes,still have a mechanic check it,did you do the crank put in gear give it some throttle and see if motor raised up.

45

All new plugs and wires every so often the engine will back fire but no all the time and now my check gauges light will flicker

bad choice of car firebird beyond car but only the classics these days these cars give out check it mite need a new exhaust

45

the exhaust is good

sorry dude,you dont seem to want to listen to good advice,things like this i have fixed for 35 years,just try it,let me know how it goes,or just keep ignoreing it.,you say everything is good to every poster,istheir really anything wrong with your car.

265

Your drive shaft could be out of balance, or you need new motor mounts, also check the U-joints.

Sounds as if it is a trans mount. Do you feel it jerk getting back on the gas? Ford Brake Repair Huntington Beach