My Firebird still running hot, on and off.

Asked by Jan 18, 2007 at 12:14 AM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Base

I left off a lot of information from my previous question so let me add some to it. I have a '95 Firebird with a Pontiac 3.4 L V-6 engine. The person that donated the car to our Non-profit said the head gasket was blown. I checked the oil and water, neither has any type of contamination. Water to oil or visa versa. But after running three or four miles, the Temp. gage goes nuts, up to 250,then down to 150 and then up to 225 and back down. Other than that the car runs great, Idles at a steady 750 RPM and has good pick up power. Will that make things a little clearer? Thanks for any feedback
Willy the C.

14,540

Dear willythec-- I have been thinking about this for a few days now and I would just suggest you go back to square one and start with the basics. Do you have enough coolant? Are the belts configured properly? Is the radiator cap worn (or missing)? Is the thermostat operating properly? Then I would check the fan blades, then the water pump, on through switches and sensors and ending with the condition of the radiator itself. This is a tough one to pinpoint via cyberspace. Is there anyone else out there smarter than me who can help this man? (I doubt anyone is smarter than I am.) Good luck from Bovan.

Thanks for the feedback. Someone suggested that I may have some part of the radiator or heater core plugged up. Because the heater runs cold when the temp guage goes up, the water quits flowing thru the core. I have replaced the thermostat, new radiator cap, new coolant and new temp sending units. The next thing is to check the heater core and hoses. Thanks....Willy the C.

40

What you need to do is check if your cat is pluged. or just flush the radiator and that should solve your problem.

Thanks for the feedback, chipskunk69, I was thinking maybe I need a bigger Radiator. BTW One repair shop replaced the radiator cap, said it was no good, the other repair shop replaced the radiator fan motor, said it was no good. I'm glad that my son works for Factory Auto Parts, Delco and GM parts. Anyway I'm going to do the radiator thing next. Thans for all of your feed back, Willy the C.

10

You need to bleed of the air in the system, watter going thru will say is normal while when the steam will tell you is hot as it jump up and down from the water, that is why youre needle will go up and down, look for the bleeder on the driver side