My 1995 Firebird gear shift is locked in park. I have tried all I can think of, can someone help with an answer?

Asked by Mar 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Convertible

This Firebird is an automatic transmission.  Sometimes gear shift  is a little stiff when
trying to take out of park, but after stepping on and off brake petal usually then is able to
be taken out if park.

236,945

I'm not sure if your car is set up with the transmission shift interlock solenoid or not. These are located near the brake pedal. Did you have to put your foot on the brake before you moved the transmission lever into gear? If so, then I'd say that is your problem.

We will check to see if this is my problem. Thanks for your answer and help.