95 Bonneville Cranking No Start

Asked by Oct 03, 2016 at 09:55 AM about the 1995 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SE Sedan

My 95 Bonneville Cranks but won't run.
Out of nowhere the car died on while
driving. Thought it was the fuel pump at
first but I changed that out only to find that
the old one was still some good. But when
I turn the key, I don't hear the pump
whining.  I run wires from the pump to the
battery & it whines & sends fuel to the
engine. Tested for fuel pressure, it's there.
Checked the icm, I assume it's good
because I'm getting spark from the coil
pack at the #1 plug. Can someone please
help me.
Thanks Kevin

19,120

Check for a blown fuel pump or engine fuse in fuse box under the hood.

Fuses are all good

130

Carburetor??

It doesn't have one

130

Possibly the oil pump? One of my cars is an 88 Firebird and I've been through my fair share of troubles with it. I feel like I've been through every situation haha. One being it shutting off while driving. But it would run hot before shutting off...it was the oil pump. Does it leak? Smoke? Check transmission fluid?

19,120

Check for power at the fuel pump harness connector with a test light most likely the harness connector is bad some new fuel pumps come with a new harness connector because they do go bad.

Should I check the fuel pump harness from the car,

& Wat pins should I be testing

19,120

Yes from the fuel pump harness from vehicle and test all the pins when touching pins have someone turn key to on postion to see if power going to pump.

Ok, tested the harness, I'm not sure which pins are which but the test light only lit when I touched one pin. I grounded the test light to engine ground, touched the purple wire pin & got light but the rest were none

19,120

Now the ones that did not light up have someone turn key to on postion while holding test light to pin one of them should light up when key is turned to the on postion then go off after a few seconds.

Ok, nothing changed. The light only came on for the one that lit the first time. None of them came on & went off. Could this be the problem?

19,120

Next poke the wire with the test light to wire going into the harness connector then do same test with key if test light lights up for a couple of seconds then goes out power not going through harness.

So basically, just test the wire before it gets to the harness connector?

19,120

Yes that's it you got it.

Did that, still no power going to the connector

19,120

Ok now you are going to have a headache because if fuel pump fuse is not blown you have a wiring problem and you are going to have to trace the wire to see where it is bad. I would take a closer look at the fuel pump fuse because sometimes a fuse looks like it's good but is not. Do not just look at the fuel pump fuse but take a close look at all of the engine fuses.

Should I put the test light on every fuse as well as visually checking them too

19,120

Yes but remember some will not show power unless the key is in the on postion and check owners manual to tell what that fuse goes to.