1995 Bonneville wont start

30

Asked by Jul 08, 2013 at 12:09 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SE Sedan

I have a 95 pontiac bonneville not supercharged 3800 engine. The full pump
doesnt come on have lost power windows and door locks and power driver seat.
just put a brandnew egnition switch in the car that we thought solved the problem
but it has started again. this has the shifter on the colum brandnew battery help
please this is the only car i have . and all relays and fuses are working and good.

the other end of the black 1/0 battery cable connects to the chassis/ground...coarse wirebrush this connection clean between the lug and the ground so that 300 cold-cranking amps can get though~

...also the 1/0 battery cable what connects the engine to chassis ground needs to see the full amperage from your battery...that engine is grounded through a lug that's connected near the alternator...this one should pull 300 amps...once the electricals are proper, we can test the power to the fuel pump, relay and fuse~

Verify ignition lights on dash, on the starter there are three fuseable link wires should be black,or red if the car was jumped w jumpers reversed this will burn the links vibration is a likely cause. To test, use a good test light you will need to lift car a bit w a jack or lift, use good sense and use jack stands. The starter is located center front of car connections should be easily determined the main cable red will carry 12+ always the three small. Black connections on same terminal could all light the test light if not find break repair, be sure once diagonosis is complete make repairs w battery disconnected

The purple wire on start only makes the starter work w key in start mode and will be separate from other connections

He's not tryin' to hotwire the thing Tom...but if you suspect the ignition switch to be at fault....good call~

"brandnew egnition switch"

No one likes eleven and a half volts...that's all I'm sayin'~

Fuseable links has nothing to do w hot wiring hes lost accesories which are protected by fusable links

30

actually its she and i am willing to try anything i can i have been front to back on this car short of taking the whole dash apart. I am a gearhead yet this is stumping me that it shuts down only certain things.

don't tear apart....test...test the fuses on the supply side and their source~

Have you taken to the frame with a coarse wirebrush under the 1/0 battery cable connection yet?...because this will fix EVERYTHING~

30

ok so i was at work when this happened i disconnected the battery for 4 hours reconnected and now it started i know it will happen again though i will thry the wire brush when i get home what i dont understand is if the connection needs to be cleaned how come i have a radio and a power antena while all the other things arent working?

The ground that drives all the accessories gets it from this location...it cannot be compromised though pushing amperage thought this spot basically "welds" the connection together...that's why the fat-ole' cable is needed...a smaller cable would simply catch fire....your starter needs this amperage....unfortunately on the same leg as those that should have filtered power~

...but fluctuations in available amperage, and varying voltage do play hell on the delicate electronics....you know they put too much importance on these little things, in my humble opinion....making it smaller....easier to produce seems to be the way of things these days~

seems like your ECU was reset...I'd still like to put a diagnostic tool on there to see if all is right on the 1995 Bonneville front...you know mold grows everywhere...spiders get into eveything...plastics degrade with time...we are lucky that the car operates normally for us (at times)~

7,375

ignition module ok? i had that go out at that age.. it is located above the steering column. 20 years of use tend to wear it down.

eric the car guy will show you how to find your parasitic draw~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

835

gm vehicles only neeed 10v for fuel pump to run. on fenderwell there should be a box with relays and fuses. pull the fuel pump relay jumper 35 and 39 (found on bottom of relay) if fue pump still won't run replace it. It will mean dropping tank

835

gm fuel pump wires are usually gray

Does this car have factory security?

Or a chip key?

Ok I just did some research on this puppy the alarm is part of the ecm/body control module and if the battery dies or software corruption occurs you will need to have system ``flashed" not like your phone. This MUST be done by the dealer the reprogramming syncs alarm/skim reader the part that recognizes your key.disconnecting battery is a default mode, and temporary.

If you don't have a chip. It may still need programmed

I had this exact problem with a newly purchased $300 97 Bonneville and I did some research and found out that there is a combo of wires under the carpet along the drivers door. My friend who is a genius with cars found the small rectangular relay and just cleaned corrosion out of there and used WD40 on it and then I wrapped it up in a plastic bag with tape so it will not get wet. It is like a swamp under the carpet. The car is 20 years old and as of today it has a new fuel pump. What a pain that was without an access panel. She will get some tires tomorrow and then I will feel more secure driving her. The windows still work fine and she runs excellent with the new pump. I am blessed to know a car genius.