Is there an O ring on the bottom of the fuel injector?

10

Asked by Nov 30, 2015 at 04:39 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Coupe

Needed to replace number 2 fuel injector. New AC Delco 217-302 and has no lower O ring with it - either on it or in the box. I've seen photos that show that part with a lower O ring and other photos without one. Should the 2.2L 1996 Pontiac fuel injector have a lower O ring or not? Thanks very much.

5,075

Most do have an O ring seal but I am not sure about this one. You might try calling the place you bought it from or someone else like a local parts store.

10

@taver91 Thanks for your response. I have called them, but they were no help. They said you can't trust the photos and if the part were meant to have an O ring on the bottom then it should be on the part. Especially given that I ordered a new OEM part. At any rate, I just ordered a different compatible after market brand of fuel injector to see if it comes with an O ring on the bottom. It's photo also showed that it does.

10

Mystery solved. I decided to look again at the small box the injector ships in to see there is any additional information. Inside the box is some manila colored packing material the injector was wrapped in. I removed the packing material and it turns out its actually a manila envelope. Inside that manila envelope I found the bottom O ring. So it appears the bottom O ring is necessary - which actually makes sense.