Why I can't start my 1996 pontiac firebird

20

Asked by Sep 17, 2014 at 02:26 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Firebird Base

I was given a 1996 Pontiac Firebird, 3.8,  6 cylinder.  It hasn't been run in at least 5 years.  I found a couple of wires that were chewed up by mice and repaired them.  One of the wires was to an fuel ejector,  so I replaced the ejector.  I also installed a new battery, and serviced all the systems.  I plan on changing the plugs, wires belts, ect but wanted to see if I could even start the car first.  The problem I'm having is when I turn the key, the car wants to start but doesn't.  There are times when I turn the key and get all the lights but when I turn it to start it's dead.  Once I play with the key and gear shift it tries to start but doesn't.  I replaced the neutral safety sw but that didn't work.  What would you suggest next?  Do you think the problem is in the ignition sw?  Thanks

40

If u have lights then all of a sudden u dont? The connection is bad to ur battery try to jump start it if it starts u bought a defective battery or ur battery cables r corroded or not securely tightened.

20

When I turn the key, before I actually try and start the car, the lights come on every time it's when I turn the key all the way as to start the car, at times, it's dead

40

Ya that sounds like a bad connection at the battery or at the wires somewhere. And u said it sounds like it wanted to start? Thats ur battery not having enough juice ur battery is wht starts ur car try to jump start ur car. And let me knw wht happens.

20

I just went and bought a new battery and it still does the same thing, will check the connections. I will jump start it and see if that makes a difference. I will be off a few days but will get back to you. Thanks for your help

40

Well if u got a NEW battery no need to jump start. just check your connections.

20

Got it, will do. Thanks again