Malfunctioning pop up headlights

Asked by Aug 18, 2015 at 10:19 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Firebird Convertible

When I turn on the parking lights the headlights pop up but are not lit. when I turn them off the left motor keeps running for about 5-10 seconds then stops.  I installed a new motor but it didn't help.

995

Might be your hardware that activates the headlight door there's the motor and then there's hardware it's like a big gear plastic gear set is inside attached to a bracket that pushes the door up and closes it in the motor and assembly is attached to the gear and the bracket that push the door up so it could be that your plastic gear stripped if you replaced the motor

I don't think this is a mechanical problem but rather an electronic one. I replaced the module and it still does the same thing. Headlights should stay down when only turning on the parking lights but they don't. When I unplug the leads going from the headlights to the module and then reconnect it operates the first time correctly butt the second time it's back to acting up and the left motor continues to run after closing no matter what I do.

995

Sounds like something in that module is acting funny maybe if you replace the module then I guess maybe get one from a junkyard a cheap one and switch it out and see if that's a problem? But I've read a lot of posts that people say that the hardware is failing like the teeth on the gear that hold the motor or something and make the motor act funny cuz they start wearing strange and do weird things but yeah you got eyes on it maybe you know better than me I would guess the module then if you think so try that but definitely check your gears 2.