how much anti freeze should I put in my 96 bonneville for hot desert driving?

Asked by May 03, 2015 at 04:56 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Bonneville 4 Dr SSE Supercharged Sedan

I won't be using dex-cool, but I am going to flush and refill system very soon. My radiator is clean as the day it made. I just bought this car in January and it only has 92000 miles on it and was a one owner and garage kept it's whole life (still is). I live in Las Vegas, Nv. and as a daily driver it will have to cope with extreme heat four to five months a year.

I don't know if that particular car has a pressurized reservoir or not. or a radiator cap. If it has a radiator cap the radiator should be full to the top where you can't get any more in, and the reservoir filled to the proper mark...engine cold coolant on cold line mark.

You might consider going a little less than 50/50 mix, maybe 60 distilled water 40 coolant in extreme heat. The water is much better at absorbing and dissipating heat, and the coolant serves as a lubricant, anti-rust and anti-freeze. If an engine ran on straight water it would cool better, but that can't be done.

71,605

If you're not using Dex-Cool use an antifreeze that says "all makes/all models" on the bottle. Do NOT use the old fashioned green stuff. Even with a "clean" cooling system a chemical reaction will occur and severely damage your engine! HTH. -Jim

I don't know if your engine looks like this, I just tried to pull up '96 Bonnie. But even if not, it's a generic guide. Click for full screen

LISTEN TO JIM he knows what he's talking about-!