No start

Asked by Jun 20, 2011 at 11:44 AM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 4 Dr SE Sedan

I just picked-up a Sunfire that won't run. If I cycle the key 2 or 3 times the car will
start for <2secs. I thought maybe fuel pump so I sprayed TBC in the TB. I was able to get it to run for a few seconds but it would backfire through the TB. That sounds like a base engine problem but I don't think so. The compression is solid and the cam/crank timing are correct. The car does have a new cam pos. sensor. The car was at a dealership before I bought it and they wanted to replace the instrument cluster to clear the codes. The reason it was taken to the shop is because it wouldn't start or stay running. Has anyone experienced this type of issued before?

33,965

sounds like a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump get it pressure tested if the pressure is good get it tested for volume