pontiac sunfire

25

Asked by Aug 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 4 Dr SE Sedan

since last month I been having trouble starting my car it would start up but cut off like it had run out of gas.  I then changed the fuel pump/ filter/ relay.  I also replace the ignition switch/ module, including the cam sensor, crank sensor, throttle position sensor, map sensor, spark plugs/ wires.  still having the same?

55

i have had something similar with my previous car which was a Chevy Cavalier and it had that same problem and i did figure out that it was the battery that made it do something like that. if you are still currently have trouble with starting up your car, a lot of times it would have to do with the battery that is about to go dead or it could be dead, but if i were you, no offense, i would take the car into like a Pepboy's, Sears Automotive or any auto place that sells and installs car batteries and have a mechanic check it out, sometimes you can go to your local oil change center and have the battery checked out and inspected and they will test the battery and see if it is dead. it is like i said, a lot of times when the car doesn't start up like it should and then when you finally get it to start and then it just cuts off automatically by itself, then more than likely it would be the car's battery. i hope this helps.

75

a start a die concern could be theft deterent related, has anyone checked it over yet I see the post is a few days old!

25

I took it to the shop and they said it could be a anti theft system being activated which I would have to send it to the dealer to install a bypass code

honestly, i changed gas. mine did the same thing, litterally turned off driving down the road! i started running exxon in it, and n o problems!

25

I have taken it to the shop and the told me it is caused by the cluster not holding the bypass code the the ignition system

5

Easy fix then to do the dealer thing (they screw u over n e ways) is to replace the ignition cylinder and key (autozone for 180 w/ instructions to do it yourself as long as you think u can unless u have a computer chipped key), and replace/remove the alarm system (mothers window & alarms have $99 specials all the time for replacement alarm systems). Total fix est $300 dealer will probably charge about the same for maybe maybe/not fixing the problem.

25

ok thanks the problem is now solved

110

Gmad - how did you fix the issue? Can you give me some ide of what you did?

25

the tech had to recode the whole system since the I had no chip on the key there was a bypass code that had to be recoded.

I have a 1998 sunfire and it started with the waterpump replaced it and now it will not start tried two new starters so i know it is not that, the car will start with a jump, and this is a new battery,then the starter gets stuck the key will not turn the car off and i have to unplug the positive on the battery to turn the car off, the starter sounds terrible it gets stuck in high and will not let the key switch turn it down at all!!!! could it also be a anti-thieft alarm or some kind of a computer????i am so puzzled on this one and my wife needs her car with christmas and all..............PLEASE HELP!!!:}}}}} HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL:)