How do I fix the Radio backlight and the volume knob and what is ETS?

Asked by Feb 04, 2007 at 03:04 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 4 Dr SE Sedan

I just bough a used 1997 Pontiac Sunfire and everything is working great. The only thing wrong with it is that the backlight on the radio wont come on so I cant see anything and the volume knob will not turn anything down only up either way so the only way I can turn it down is by using hte steering wheel volume control. So can somebody help with that and explain what is ETS and when do I need it on?

185

ETS stands for Electronic Traction Stabilizer. What ETS does is when your tires are slipping. ETS reduces power to the one tire. When you turn ETS off and your tires start spinning they will just keep spinning, if ETS is engaged then the tire that is slipping will have the power to it reduced. It comes in handy on those rainy days or those snowy winters.

20

What about the backlight for the radio?

25

I need to know about the radio too... my volume knob will only turn it up, and I don't have steering wheel controls.. real pain in the ass.

8,375

Actually, ETS stands for Enhanced Traction System, and it doesn't move power around to different wheels- if the car loses traction, it cuts back power to the engine until you regain traction- the stuff you are talking about occurs on an all wheel drive, which the sunfire is not. You should leave it on all the time because it will help you in any situation where you might lose traction. Only shut it off if you get stuck and need to rock it out- it won't allow you to do that because it will cut power to the engine right when you need it. Then turn it back on when you are out. The only fix for the backlight and volume on the radio is to replace it- either that, or pull it in a dark garage so you can read it (don't run the engine!), tune to the stations you like, and then set them on the preset buttons by holding the button down until it registers. I hope this helps