97 pontiac sunfire 2.2 engine spark plugs stuck

Asked by Jul 07, 2016 at 08:32 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr SE Coupe

I just brought a 97 Pontiac Sunfire, and my
boyfriend was trying to change the spark plugs and
he was able to get one out, but the others were
stuck. Is this a common problem and if so, how do
you change them. Thanks

5,165

an impact socket should do it...sparkplugs have a "crush ring" that should not be overtightened~ okay...here's something...it's Metric~ http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/qa/q18/

64,915

You must remove the spark plugs with the engine cold. Like from sitting overnight. If they still won't budge try some PB Blaster. Spray it on the plugs and let them sit for an hour or two. If you can then get the plugs to move, loosen them some then tighten them. Keep doing this on each plug until you can remove them. Put antiseize compound on the threads of the new plugs so this won't happen again. HTH. - Jim

18,170

You can try spraying some PB blaster around the plug area and let set for a bit then try to remove.

18,170

Sorry about Jim your post was not up when I posted. Looks like we posted about the same time.

THank you all so much for your answers! I work kind of a long way from home and my boyfriend wants to make sure my car, since its used and has alot of miles, is safe and doesnt break down. I just brought the car last week, but havent really driven it until a few days ago because i didnt have all the info for the plates. Anyway, i just had the exhaust fixed because it was loud, and even though it was fixed, it is still a little loud, not alot, but shouldnt it be quiet after getting it fixed? Any ideas? I really appreciate any insights.

5,165

sounds like an exhaust leak...possibly the manifold gasket...salt environment?....would take a close look at your manifold for exhaust leaks...they can be dangerous~

64,915

That's ok firebird338. Thanks for reinforcing my suggestion! Great minds think alike! -Jim